View From the Bridge: The National Curriculum for Youth WorkOctober 8, 2020
Call To Tender – Bridge Youth Voice InitiativeOctober 22, 2020
Reasons to be Cheerful!
On Friday 6th November, our friends and colleagues gathered virtually for Cultural Education Unlocked – an online celebration of how creative and cultural education can flourish, even in the most exceptional circumstances.
The event saw the announcement of the winners of the North West Cultural Education Awards 2020, as well as:
- Showcases of some of the outstanding projects our peers pulled together to support children and young people though the first period of national lockdown.
- Interviews with a small sample of inspirational practitioners, who have found creative ways to overcome obstacles presented by the pandemic.
- Performances and artwork from talented young people.
- Messages of admiration and encouragement from Derri Burdon (Curious Minds), Abid Hussain (Arts Council England) Sue Devaney and Imelda Staunton.
At the end of what had doubtless been a difficult week for most people, we were pleased to be able to offer an inspirational and heart-warming way to welcome the weekend
Missed out on watching along live?You can view the celebration in full below.
Finalists and winners
We were overwhelmed by the response to our adapted and stripped-back awards process, for which we received over 100 nominations across just 3 categories! Every single one of these has highlighted examples of parents, teachers and arts professionals doing innovative, creative and truly inspiring work for children and young people, whilst they try to navigate through the unexpected hurdles and challenges of living and thriving in a global pandemic.
Every finalist has an inspirational story to tell and the Curious Minds team feels honoured to be part of the North West’s cultural education workforce.
The Lockdown Innovation Award
- The Creative Arts Team, Formby High School
- Fly High Stories
- Andy Field with Heart of Glass
- Future 20 Collective, HOME
- Simeon Truby, Urban Stage School of Performing Arts
- Jess Egan-Simon, Action Transport Theatre
- Zainab Shaikh and Hannah-Sophia Guerriero, Students at Abraham Moss Community School and Manchester College
- M6 Theatre, Love in the Time of Corona
WINNER: Gorse Hill Studios' Team of Creative Educators
The Lockdown Inclusion Award
- Rachael Borman, AmaSing
- Sue Flowers, Green Close
- Zac Hackett, TramShed Theatre Company
- Nudrat Alexander Mughal, The Wish Centre
- Aleasha Chaunte, One September
- Neil Griffiths, Arts Emergency
- Passing the Baton: DIY Theatre
- AMP Project, HOME and Venture Arts
WINNER: Yvonne Heywood, Ladywood Special School
The Creative @ Home Award
- Kate Collins
- Catherine West-McGrath
- Rachel Power
WINNER: Andy, Dawn & Emily Martin